French Honors Society Induction Ceremony Held Over Zoom

Story by Maura Nowak, Staff Writer

On May 28th, 2020, at 6 PM, Stonington High School held an induction ceremony for new members of the French Honors Society.

This induction ceremony was particularly unique from past years–it was hosted completely online, using the popular video-messaging service Zoom to connect all the students and staff. This is the first time that an SHS induction ceremony has been held in this way, and I can state that it was, even with some slightly awkward silent pauses, a success.

It was a very sweet gesture to accommodate students who may feel like they’re missing out on the credit and acknowledgement that they deserve for their hard work, and clearly took Mrs. Kennedy and the FHS board members a lot of time to plan. It was very fun to see everyone’s faces for the first time in a while, and some faculty members and parents even made appearances.

The ceremony opened by reciting the society’s motto. Short speeches were given by the current FHS board members, explaining the prestige of the society and what it seeks to accomplish in the promotion of the French language. They explained some of the society’s usual activities, including organizing Culture Day, writing and sending letters, and organizing fundraisers such as car washes. The new members were introduced along with a digital copy of their certificates.

The induction ceremony also honored those amazing students who had achieved the difficult goal of obtaining the Seal of Biliteracy.

Before ending the call, graduating members shared the best memories they had made while taking part in the society, some speaking about the joy they felt when receiving letters from their orphaned pen-pals, while others reminisced about the fun trips they got to go on as a group. New members also spoke up about what they were excited to accomplish as a part of the FHS.

Congratulations to all the new members of Stonington High School’s French Honors Society!