Meet Your Class of 2020 Valedictorian

Story by Sarah Flakus, Editor/Staff Writer

Recently, Hanna Hong was announced as the class of 2020’s valedictorian.

This title is a very big honor and something that represents her hugely successful four years at Stonington High School. She described the key to this success as, “The amount of time and effort that I committed to my studies. I put equal amounts of effort into improving my skills in each class, at each grade level, which enabled me to have a full understanding of the subjects I was studying and allowed me to continue improving as I moved through high school.”

She took AP and Honors classes throughout her four years in all subjects spanning from Chemistry to US History. “I was able to take many classes that catered to all my different interests,” she said. “I  always found teachers or other administrators who were willing to make that possible.” Her favorite class, however, has been AP Literature with Mr. Cote. “I think the people in that class have all helped to foster a sense of community that is truly special,” she described.

Apart from being a stellar student in the classroom, she has been a part of many extracurricular activities that are very important to her. She is a member of the National Honor Society and the Spanish Honor Society and with the Spanish Honor Society, she enjoys traveling to the elementary schools to teach young kids the language. However, the most important things to her are both dance and art. “It’s great that I have been able to integrate these things into my high school experience through the drama and arts programs,” she said.

She even wants to continue these passions in the future. “In college, I want to major in architecture or some sort of other discipline involving design,” she described. “After college, I hope to work as a production designer.”

As seen throughout her four years, Hanna is truly deserving of the valedictorian title and is very appreciative of it. “I am very grateful to be the valedictorian because I think it is a recognition of the effort that I’ve put into my school work over the years and a confirmation that it was time well spent,” she said.