Meet Your Class of 2020 Salutatorian

Story by Sarah Flakus, Editor/Staff Writer

Last week, Kaira Wiltshire was announced as the Class of 2020 Salutatorian.

This outstanding achievement is something she has worked hard for in the past four years, and something she is very proud of. “For me, being second in the class symbolizes how my work and accomplishments are cumulative. Making hard work, commitment, and ambition a lifestyle can elevate you to a person you can be proud of,” she said. 

Throughout her high school career, Kaira has taken very rigorous courses, including 10 AP or ECE classes. “I think the most important thing for me throughout my four years was keeping a diverse schedule,” she said. “By exposing myself to a variety of courses and balancing their rigor, I’ve been able to keep myself constantly interested in what I’m learning and motivated to do well.”

She also said another key to her success was her time management ability. “I managed my time and abilities to take advantage of all the classes offered at SHS. Now I have a strong foundation of education when it comes time to move on in my life,” she said. 

Time management was critical to her as she participated in many extracurricular activities in addition to her rigorous course schedule. She is President of the National Honor Society, a member of the Spanish Honor Society and Interact Club, and took part in multiple drama productions the school has put on in her four years. She also has a special place in her heart for the field hockey team, which she co-captained this year. “I’ve learned that what makes the field hockey team here so special is the coaching and the bond I’ve formed with the other girls,” she said. “There’s plenty of talent, but the spirit of the team is what really matters.”

Through her four years at SHS, she has had many successes, and she credits them all in part to the relationships she has formed. She describes, “My AP Literature class this year has been a place for me to connect with diverse, yet cohesive, personalities and indulge in intellectual conversation; Mr. Cote has supported me as my homebase teacher and made every TASC block feel like time with my family; Mrs. Gauthier has helped me pursue goals I’m passionate about; my friends have allowed me to unwind and laugh as a balance to my busy academic schedule.” She even described her favorite experience from high school was due to the relationships she made. During the summer going into her junior year, she went on a trip to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand where she got to learn about different cultures of the world, and she even got closer to people in her own school community. “We visited landmarks, learned rich history, and made connections with people from across the world, which was amazing,” she described. “This trip even fueled essays, projects, and conversations I have had since.”

As evidenced throughout her high school career, Kaira is a very intelligent student who highly deserves the role of Class Salutatorian. For the future, she plans on studying Economics and Philosophy as an undergraduate and then go on to get a law degree and become an attorney.

Kaira’s high school career is very impressive, making her very deserving of the Salutatorian accomplishment.