Unified Friendship Dance a Hit

photo by Unified Teacher, Laura Dow

SHS’s Unified members dressed up ready to go to the dance

Story by Ava Schrage, Staff Writer/Editor

photo by Unified Teacher, Laura Dow

Last Friday, February 21st, SHS’s Unified members traveled to Fitch after school to attend their annual Friendship Dance.

The Friendship Dance is a semi-formal event that’s combined with Stonington’s Unified team, Ledyard’s Unified team, and Fitch’s Unified team as well as their National Honor Society members, who host and plan the event.

These Fitch NHS members donated food to be served at the dance, including desserts such as cookies and brownies, in addition to pizza, popcorn, and drinks. They also hired a DJ to play a mix of radio pop songs using their school funding and even rented a photo booth for students to use.

Those who turned in permission slips and planned to go on this trip brought their semi-formal clothes to school and were dismissed from their last block class at 1:30 pm to go get changed into their clothes in the gym locker rooms. From here, they left at 1:50 on the bus and arrived at Fitch around 2:30, when their dance began. The dance ended at 5:30 pm and students returned back to the school on the bus and were picked up from SHS.

“It was awesome to see everyone from all different schools coming together and having fun. Unified is such an amazing program to be a part of,” says Unified member Bailey McCarney. Additionally, Hadley Payer said, “I loved the dance very much, it was a good time with my friends.”