Senior boys: don’t forget to file for the Selective Service System!

Story by Ben Fyke, Staff Writer/Editor/Social Media Manager

Reminder to senior boys turning 18 in the next few months: you must register with the U.S. Selective Service System within 30 days of your 18th birthday. You can register or verify your registration so at https://www.sss.gov/; men may have already registered while filing their FAFSA or when they got their driver’s license.

Although there has been some concern among young men about being drafted in a conflict with Iran, the chances of this are slim to none. Conscription in the U.S. was officially abolished after the Vietnam War, and the Selective Service System (SSS) was established as a backup plan in case the draft needed to be reinstated. Congress would have to authorize a new draft through legislation, and conscription does not currently have enough support.

Failing to register with the SSS between ages 18-25 as a man can result in a lifetime of consequences. One can officially be charged with a felony and jailed for up to 5 years and fined up to $250,000, although the government has not enforced this since the late 1980s. Men who fail to register are also ineligible to receive federal student loans and federal jobs/job training. Therefore, it is worth it to quickly register with the SSS when applying for student aid or getting a driver’s license. It only takes a few minutes, and it can save you from hardship later on in life.