SHS Participates in Second Annual Stonington VS. Westerly Two Teams, One Cause Fundraiser

Story by Nicole Haberek, Staff Writer and Editor

For the second year in a row, the Stonington and Westerly National Honor Societies are doing the Two Teams, One Cause fundraiser. This fundraiser is a competition against the two schools to raise money and collect donations. The items that students from Stonington collect will be going to the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center and the items that Westerly collects will be going to the Westerly W.A.R.M Shelter.

For the fundraiser, there is a point system that is being used to count the points for the items. Monetary donations count for one point, so $1 is one point. Food donations will count for two points for every can, box, or jar. Donations of canned foods such as peanut butter, canned fruits and vegetables, and canned meat such as spam and tuna are always needed. The biggest type of items needed are hygiene items and these will count for five points for each item brought in. Items needed include toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, shampoo, conditioner, diapers, and feminine hygiene products.

Items are being collected in all homebases and members of the National Honor Society have been and will continue to come around to homebases to collect the items and count up the total items raised. The last day for donating items will be at the Turkey Day Game where there will be a table set up with donation boxes and NHS members collecting items. As of right now, Stonington has raised almost 4,200 points.

On Friday, there will be a pajama day at SHS. If you would like to participate and wear your pajamas to school you will need to bring in a monetary donation, canned good, or hygiene item. There will be members of NHS at the entrances of school collecting the items.

If you have any questions about the fundraiser you can contact Ms. LaCombe, Mrs. Gauthier, or any member of the service committee.