Key Things to Look for When Applying to Colleges

Story by Nicole Haberek, Staff Writer and Editor

Now that it’s November, many seniors are either done applying to college or getting ready to send their final applications. Figuring out what schools to apply to can be a very stressful situation but there are some key things to look at when it comes to colleges that can make your decision a little easier.

1. Figure out what type of location you want to be in – Whether it’s a city, suburb, or college town, narrowing down the type of environment you want to spend these next four years in is key. College is an opportunity to live somewhere new and have new experiences so it is important that the location is comfortable. The campus size is also a large deciding factor, whether you want a small, medium or large campus is something very important to consider.
  2. Make sure the college has a good program for your major – If you already know what you want to study, it is imperative that you make sure the school you apply to has a program that is right for you major and for guiding you towards your future career goals.
  3. Financial Aid – A college may have everything you are looking for, but if you cannot afford it, there will be a problem. Though you may not know your financial aid package until you receive your acceptance to the school, it is very easy to find online the percentage of students who get financial aid and the average of what they get for specific schools.
  4. Internships – A major part of the college experience is the internship opportunities that can be presented to you. Internships are very important for college students to start working in their fields and gaining experience in work environments similar to what they will be doing after college. Along with this, look into the percentage of students who come out of college having jobs.
  5. Study Abroad Programs – Though not everyone will be interested in studying abroad, it is a great opportunity that many students take advantage of. If you are interested in studying abroad, be sure to research the school’s programs to see if it will be the right fit for you.
  6.  Extra Curriculars – Whether it is a sport or a club, you want to make sure the school has activities you can get involved in. Getting involved at the school is a major part of making friends, creating new memories, and making your new school your new home.

Though there are many factors that can contribute to the decision of what schools you apply to and ultimately what school you end up going to, these are some major things to look for during the process. All students want college to be a new, fun, and comfortable experience so you don’t want to risk choosing the wrong school.