Homecoming Spirit Week Ends with a Freshman Victory

Story by Olivia Haberek, Staff Writer

Stonington High School’s 2019 Homecoming Spirit Week featured USA pride, squads, class colors, aliens, and astronauts. Then on Saturday, November 9th, the week ended with the annual Homecoming dance with everyone dressed their best.

Over the week there were tallies for each class on how many people dressed up. The results were freshmen in first, juniors in second, sophomores in third, and seniors in fourth.

Sophomore Carli LoPresto said, “I didn’t like Out of this World day. I wish we had Tacky Tourist day because I didn’t know what to wear.” Sophomore Olivia Pasquin said, “I think they could have chosen better days and better outfit choices but all in all it was fun.” Sophomore Leah Diamanti said, “I did not enjoy the week and only participated in one day.”

Allie Kapell and Sampson Casadei were crowned queen and king at the Homecoming dance.

Over the week there was a friendly competition for all grades called “Penny Wars.” If a student added a penny to his or her grade’s jar, that class would get points. However, if students added silver coins to other grade’s jars, then that amount would be subtracted from their total. Sophomores got first with 280 points, Juniors got second with 163 points, Freshman got third with -2164 points, and Seniors got fourth with -3747 points. Money raised from Penny Wars was donated to the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center.