SHS to Offer Redesigned STEM and Business Classes

Story by Ben Fyke, Staff Writer

For the 2019-2020 school year, Stonington High School will offer new and revamped STEM and Business classes.

The most sweeping changes will occur in the business department. Personal Finance I and II, Marketing I, and other formerly year-long business classes will be shortened to half-year classes. AP Economics will also be offered at SHS next school year, as interest has been generated the past few years with people taking the class online. The year-long class will prepare students for both the AP Microeconomics and Macroeconomics exams in the spring. Another new class that will be offered is Honors Applied Business, replacing what was formerly known as Honors Financial Banking. In this Semester 2 class, students will develop a fundraiser to benefit SHS.

Another new feature of the business department is working in the Stonington Savers Credit Union. Previously, students in Personal Finance II or Financial Banking would work shifts in the Credit Union near the Guidance Suite. Starting next year, any student enrolled in a business class can work in the Credit Union and receive honors credit for one of their business classes.

In the STEM department, there will be a new class offered called Principles of Engineering. This honors-level half-year class will build on the topics taught in both Physics and Algebra II, both prerequisites for the class. Robotics I and II will also be shortened to half-year, in order to make them more accessible.

Current students can enter their course selections for next year through PowerSchool until March 29th. It would be quite interesting to sign up for some of these new classes next year!