Helpful Tips for Course Selection

Story by Nicole Haberek, Staff Writer

The second semester of the school year is beginning soon which means course selection for the next school year is starting. Within the next few weeks, teachers will be giving students their recommendations for what classes students should take next year.

Making your schedule for the next year can be a stressful process, but here are some tips to help you out:

1. Don’t overload on hard classes

Just because you may want the GPA boost, doesn’t mean you need to take all honors

or AP classes. Balance is key when it comes to workload and take the classes you believe you can handle. Likewise, if a teacher recommends you for a class you do not think you can handle, you do not have to take the class.

2. Take classes that you are going to enjoy

Don’t take a class just because everyone else is taking it. Also, don’t not take a class that you might like just because no one is taking it. Take the classes you will like

3. Take classes that you believe will help you in the future

If you know what you are looking at for a future career, take classes pertaining to that. For example, if you want to go into the science field, take a lot of science classes.

4. If you don’t know what you want to do in the future, take classes that you are interested in that may help you with that

Many people do not know what they want to do in the future, but everyone has interests. Taking classes that pertain to different interests you have may help you with the future

5. Make sure you are forming your schedule so you can get all your requirements in

You don’t want to wait until Junior and Senior year to get your credits in. Get as

much as you can now with a balanced schedule so it allows you to have more free range in the future to take other classes that are not required

6. Have a balance of core classes and electives

Everyone needs to take core classes, but have some fun classes in there that are

less stressful

7. Talk to your guidance counselor

Your guidance counselors are there to help you. Talk to them about your interests

and future plans and they can help you create a schedule that is right for you

8. Make sure you have room for a study hall

You may think you don’t need one but it’s nice to know you have a break and a

guaranteed time you can get work done

9. Try not to stress about it, it’ll work out

This is a stressful time for all students but there is plenty of help out there for you. Do what you believe will get you ahead in your future and allow you to have a good experience for the next school year