Semester Exams to Begin January 22

Story by Ava Schrage, Staff Writer

Midterm exams are scheduled to be held between Tuesday, January 22nd to Friday, January 25th. On the first day, Tuesday, you will have exams for periods 1 and 3, while on Wednesday it will be 2 and 4, then 5 and 7 on Thursday, and finally 6 and 8 on the last day, Friday. There’s no school on Monday, January 21st due to Martin Luther King Day, therefore no exams will be held on that day.

These exams will cover everything you’ve learned in the first semester of any given class/period, except for any study halls you might have in your semester one schedule. During an exam block where you have a study hall period, you’re not required to be at school, provided that you have your own form of transportation. Additionally, seniors with a grade of a 90 or above in a semester class aren’t required to take their exam for that specific class, yet can if they choose to. Once again, this rule only applies to seniors here at SHS. However, you are required to be at school and take exams for every other class, if neither rule pertains to you.

Regarding the day-to-day schedule, the school day will begin at its regular time during exam week. As mentioned previously, there will be two exams per day. The first exam (block ‘A’) will begin at 7:30 am and end at 9 am. Afterward, there will be a 30-minute study block between the first and the second exam, where students can relax or study in the commons. This will go until the second exam starts (block ‘B’), which is at 9:30 am to 11:00 am. Buses will come at 11:00 am. If students need to make up an exam that they missed, there’s a third exam block (block ‘C’) from 12:30 pm-2:00 pm, and buses for these students will also be provided and will come at 2:00 pm. However, the only acceptable reasons for a student to miss an exam would be due to a family emergency, an illness, or a court meeting. Parents will be called to confirm the legitimacy of the student’s excuse. If you are late for an exam, you must sign into the office and alert your teacher, who you can set up a separate day to take your exam with, during exam block C. This schedule is the same for all four exam days.

All school rules apply during exam week, including dress code. Students are not permitted to have/use their cell phones during exams for any reason. If a student is caught using their phone during an exam, they will receive a failing grade. Additionally, once an exam block begins, students must stay in their classrooms the whole block, regardless if they’ve finished their exam. If you don’t have an exam to take during an exam block and choose to stay at school, you must stay in the commons. Wandering in the halls will not be tolerated.

Exams count for 20% of your entire semester grade, therefore it’s important that students are prepared and study. With this, all sports and other afterschool activities will be canceled during exam week to ensure that students have time to go home and prepare for their next day of exams.

If you have any questions regarding exams, talk to your guidance counselor.