Pawmystonian Staff Looks Forward to Second Year Under New Leadership

Story by Ava Schrage, Staff Writer

Mrs. Reilly, an English teacher here at SHS, runs the yearbook class, where her students/staff put together the pages and pictures and assemble the book. Yearbook used to be an afterschool club here, but after a while, it changed to a full year-long class called Publications open for grades 10, 11, and 12 to take for one credit.

When asked how this year’s going with her class and its progress, Mrs. Reilly said, “Publications this year is going really well, we have a great group of girls, as it just happens to be a class of all girls. We have our first deadline coming up on the 26th of this month, so our goal is to get all of our pages done before Thanksgiving break so that we can just kind of be done during the break, but we have 25 spreads, so we have 50 pages of the book due in a couple of days, really, but it’s going really well.”

Some students might be more inclined to look into taking this class next school year if they knew the workload they’d be dealing with, as according to Mrs. Reilly, “It’s really only a workshop type of thing, so we come in and we talk about our goals for the day, like if you’re working on the boys’ soccer pages what information are your going to have. We kind of just help each other as we work on the pages. The homework is always just finishing whatever you didn’t during class or contacting people you might need to interview, but mostly we finish by the end of the period so rarely is there extensive take-home work.”

The most anticipated pages in the yearbook, as well as the one who people tend to take most interest in, would be the sports section. According to Mrs. Reilly, its appeal comes from the diversity of the photos and the wide range of activities. It’s also the favorite of Bailey McCarney (sophomore), a student staff member of the yearbook class who “loves gathering information from the different players, as well as being able to pick which team photos and action shots get to go in.”

Overall, this year’s yearbook seems to be on a successful path so far, and if you’re interested in being able to have some of the say in what gets in, consider signing up for Publications for next year!