SHS Homecoming ’18!

Story by Ava Schrage, Staff Writer

Last Saturday, October 20th, was this year’s homecoming dance here at SHS. Students from all grades attended this event here in the school’s cafeteria for a fun night of getting dressed up, dancing, and hanging out with friends.

Mr. Agins, a well-known teacher at Pawcatuck Middle School, was once again the DJ of the dance. The theme was Hollywood, which was decided by the student government weeks prior to the dance. The cafeteria was filled with sparkling silver and red decorations and movie posters. In addition to this, people who didn’t want to dance had the option of sitting in the commons and watching a movie with snacks. Nearing the end, the homecoming court was announced, with Nick Turco as the king and Caitlyn Wrang as the queen.

Four hundred and fifty tickets were sold in total over the span of last week before the dance. From this, a total of $6,750 was raised, of which 30% was distributed among the four classes. Towards the end of the dance, the spirit week winners were announced. The junior class came in first, meaning that they not only showed the most participation and overall school spirit, but they also earned $675 for their class. The freshmen came in second with $540, sophomores were third with $472.50, and finally seniors were last and came away with $337.50. Additionally, it was also announced that Ms. Johnson’s homebase won the best door competition.

Overall, homecoming was said to have been the perfect way to wrap up spirit week by several students, including sophomore class president Adam Rajab, who said, “I had a really good time, I just wish that the music was better. I was super excited for it, especially during last week.” This was a popular opinion among the students, largely due to the amount of attendance. As fall events here at the school begin to wind down, the most anticipated upcoming events include the powderpuff game on Wednesday and the second to last regular home football game on Friday against Waterford.