Some SHS students choose to take a more untraditional route

Story by Madison Nelson, Staff Writer

Deciding what to do after high school can be stressful. With many students taking the more traditional route of a four-year college, some students may feel left out or lost when trying to figure out what is best for them. For a few SHS students taking a gap year or going on to a tech school is what is best for their future.

Senior Shepherd Caruso plans on taking a gap year next year. Caruso plans on saving up for college while working in Savannah, Georgia as a lifeguard at a resort. Caruso decided to take a gap year to take a break from school.

“[I want] to take a break from all the stress of school and figure out exactly what I want to major in before I go to school.” Caruso has deferred her application to two schools and she plans to make her decision on where she wants to attend college by May 1, 2019.  

Instead of going to college next year Nathaniel Payne plans to enroll in a more focused tech program to study automotive repair. Payne decided to go to tech school to pursue his career instead of a four year college.

“I didn’t think a college could teach me the skill I needed to get the job I wanted,” Payne said. “I felt like it was important to learn a skill that could ensure a stable career after finishing my schooling.”

Payne will be attending Lincoln Institute of Technology. His schooling will last 10 months, with an extension of 10 weeks to continue his studying with a specialization in Audi repair.