More About Ms. Milde, SHS’ Career and Outreach Coordinator

Ms. Milde, above left, is available to help all students. Seniors, like Madison Geiger, visit the Career Center to get help with scholarships.

Story by Lauren Eppler, Staff Writer

Kate Milde, whom the students of SHS know as Ms. Milde, received a bachelor’s degree in English Writing, Media, Rhetoric and Cultural Studies from University of Illinois Chicago and more recently her master’s degree in Organizational Leadership from Quinnipiac University. Before coming to Stonington High, she worked as both a research specialist and associate administrative program specialist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, as well as having become a published author.

Even though Ms. Milde only became the career and outreach coordinator for Stonington High in the past couple of years, she has remained a grossly underutilised resource for students of all grade levels.

Many underclassmen believe that she is only useful to seniors in need of assistance applying to colleges and scholarships, but she is also incredibly helpful in finding volunteer opportunities for any student looking to fulfill the community service hours requirement for ninth, tenth, and eleventh graders. She is available almost all day to students who need help with tasks such as finding jobs, enlisting in the armed forces or ROTC, finding financial assistance, and guidance on the senior project. She says, “You get out what you put in, so when I see students take the initiative to come to the career center, I believe they’re giving themselves a leg up to success in the future.”   On a daily basis, she collects useful information about opportunities in the community and emails them to every student in the school, so even if you don’t get a chance to visit her in the career center, you will be up to date as long as you check your mail.