Sophomore Spotlight: Kate Reagan

SHS sophomore Kate Reagan works to better the lives of others while contributing to the school and local community.

Story by Jessica Weber, Co-Editor-in-Chief

There is one word that encompasses Stonington High School sophomore Kate Reagan: dynamic. Her interests are broad and her passion and maturity far exceed her age, earning her admiration and respect from school faculty and her peers. She channels her energy into lacrosse, a wide range of clubs and extracurriculars, and helping others. Yet unlike many others her age, Kate serves in leadership positions usually not given to underclassmen.

Kate’s SHS lacrosse season has just started up again. This will be her second year starting on the varsity team, which she earned her spot on as only a freshman. Kate’s humility remains intact, however, as she continues to emphasize the importance of cohesive teamwork.

“I really like being on a team that doesn’t focus on the individual,” Reagan explained. “We have to really work together to focus on the chemistry of the team because that shows on the field.”

To build this chemistry, Kate has had held team bonding nights at her house, such as a sleepover last week.

“Knowing the people on the team is important,” Kate said. “I feel like I can tell them anything; it’s like a sisterhood. I really appreciate being on this team after being injured for the winter, too—it helps with time management and really does make me happier.”

Time management can be tricky for Reagan, as she has a plethora of other responsibilities. After being asked by the previous Interact advisor, Mrs. Kennedy, to run for an executive board position last year, she realized how much she could do. Kate has become further involved with Interact by facilitating RYLA, a youth leadership conference which deals with personal and community growth, as well as becoming more present in Rotary meetings and activities throughout the state.

“After going to and facilitating RYLA I became exposed to a bigger demographic and I realized how good we actually have it here,” Reagan recalled. “It made me really want to help the community and people on a personal level.”

While RYLA has helped Kate to introspect and grow on a personal level, she also credits the Stonington High School guidance department for helping her to find calm and stability in school.

“There is so much competition between students over grades,” Reagan explained. “We all have this mindset, especially this generation, that if we don’t get a good grade on a test or we have a worse GPA than someone else then we are a failure and we won’t get a job or succeed in life.”

Reagan also explained that easy access to grades through the PowerSchool app is not conducive to a successful or healthy learning environment among her and her classmates.

Kate described, however, that whenever the pressure is too much, she knows she can rely on the SHS faculty for support—specifically Mrs. Saad.

“My schedule is pretty crazy and she always puts things in perspective for me,” Kate said. “She knows what classes I should or shouldn’t take and she knows what is really important in life.”

While Kate credits Mrs. Saad with helping her gain an an understanding of what aspects of life are important, it seems that she, although young, has a pretty good handle on the world as well.