Rain and snow clear up just in time for the SHS Junior Prom

Izzy Yarnall and Sarah Gray pose for the camera at Latitude 41. At first the weather threatened picture-taking opportunities, but luckily it cleared in time for the event.

Story by Isabelle Ryan, Staff Writer

April 6th started off sprinkling, then it began to rain, and finally, it began to snow. Most people are used to the disappointing “Spring” weather,  but for SHS juniors, it was the day of junior prom. It is fair to say that the students attending prom were more than annoyed that the weather was not cooperating. However, everyone attending was shocked as the sun came out around 5pm, which was just in time for pictures for many friend groups. Junior Ashley Culver said, “We were all so lucky to end the day in the sun, as hours before it was snowing out.”

Junior prom was held at Latitude 41, where the ballroom of the restaurant was entirely rented out for the night. Culver said, “Junior prom was a night to remember, from getting hair and makeup done to taking pictures with friends and family.” Thankfully, due to the weather clearing up, most people were able to take pictures outside. Many went to downtown Mystic to take pictures on the boardwalk. Since it was still not very warm outside, many decided to stay inside and went to the Velvet Mill take photos.

Once everyone got to the venue, dinner was served starting with salad and bread, then either steak, chicken, or risotto, and ending with a dessert table consisting of cupcakes, cookies, and coffee. Izadora Yarnall stated, “The food was really really good and Latitudes was gorgeous.” Colette Dreher also stated, “I got to sit with my friends and everyone got along, we got to dance and eat. It was great!’

Most students consider the best part of prom to be the dancing. Culver added, “The energy of the crowd on the dance floor gave us all an adrenaline rush, as we all sang each song on the top of our lungs.” The DJ played current songs, but also some throwback which were definitely the biggest hit, as everyone screamed the lyrics and danced like crazy. The dance floor was a little crowded as Yarnall commented, “It was just a little small which made the dance floor really crowded and hot.” However most people did not mind being squeezed next to one another, as everyone was having fun and not worried about anything else. Culver stated, “We were all sweaty, but nobody cared because it was so much fun to dance, slow and fast, with good friends.”

Junior prom was a great night from the good food and beautiful venue of Latitude 41 to the amazing energy of everyone who attended. Dreher said, “It’s always fun to see everyone get dressed up and looked all fancy, everyone looked so good.”

April 6th started off a little rough with snow and rain, however, by the end of the day the sun was out and everyone was happy and excited to be going to prom.