Junior Spotlight: Naga Gregoire

Naga%2C+above+left%2C+poses+for+a+picture+at+the+junior+prom.+Gregoire+loves+to+dance+and+sing%2C+making+prom+a+really+fun+event+for+her+and+her+friends.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Spotlight: Naga Gregoire

Naga, above left, poses for a picture at the junior prom. Gregoire loves to dance and sing, making prom a really fun event for her and her friends.

Story by Colette Dreher, Staff Writer

Nagawuttae Gregoire is a junior at Stonington High School. She is a student within the unified classroom, participating in various unified-organized clubs and events such as Art, Physical Education, and Social Club. Unified is a program for students with autism, down syndrome, and other disabilities to be able to interact with their peers inside and outside of the classroom. She will also be performing as a dancer in the upcoming Unified Talent Show.

One of Gregoire’s favorite things to do both inside and outside of school is listen to music. She says that her role model is Ariana Grande because “she’s nice and she’s perfect.” You can find Gregoire with her oversized headphones on swaying back and forth and moving her shoulders to the beat of various Grande songs during the day. Sometimes, Gregoire will just freely sing her heart out and dance like no one is watching, even when there’s no real music in the background.

“Nick Jonas is my favorite singer too. I love [the song] Jealous. I love to sing and dance. I danced at the prom with my friends and I had so much fun,” Gregoire said.

Another thing Gregoire loves to do is watch movies, particularly Frozen. Gregoire has seen the movie Frozen more times than she can count on their hands. Gregoire added, “Elsa is my favorite because I love her singing “Let It Go” and I love love LOVE her hair.” Gregoire knows every word to that song and can recite many of the lines in the movie.

Gregoire is someone that can easily make your day. She is willing to say hi and give a warm welcome to anyone she sees, whether she knows them or not. Gregoire is described by her classmates as witty and hilarious when talking with her friends. Most importantly, Gregoire is confident. When asked how Gregoire would describe herself, she said: “I am awesome, I love pickles, I am good looking and a little bit sassy. I am a princess!”

One of Gregoire’s teachers for both homebase and math, Mr. Moore, can agree that she is confident and hardworking. Mr. Moore commented, “She’s always ready to work, and is always the first one to get her binder and get going. She is not afraid to ask for help when she needs it.” In math particularly, Moore says that Gregoire has great calculatory fluency. He also says that Gregoire is a very positive person. “It always brightens your day to walk into a room and hear ‘Hello Mr. Moore!’”

Gregoire has grown to love school and learning as well.  When asked what her favorite subject is, she said, “Math is my favorite because Mr. Moore is my teacher. We learn how to tell time on clocks and learn how to add. Science is my next favorite because we learn habitats. Mrs. Gauthier teaches me science.”

Naga Gregoire is one who deserves the spotlight for many reasons, being one of the nicest and most accepting people at Stonington High. Everyone deserves to feel as confident and positive as she does.