Additional Homework Help Offered at SHS with New After-School Program

Story by Alexis Gomes, Staff Writer

Stonington High just recently began offering a new after-school program known as Bear Academy. It is meant to help students who need extra help with their homework or who are behind in assignments. On Tuesdays, students can join Ms. Singer in her room after school until 3:45 for STEM-related homework help, and on Thursdays, students can join Mrs. Reilly in her room until 3:45 for help with humanities-related work.

The program started after a grant was given to the school earlier this month for a homework help program.  Mrs. Crowley approached Reilly and Singer to see if they would be advisors. Both teachers agreed as they wanted to help students. “I am after school most days anyway, so I was fine with doing Bear Academy and having a formalized setting where students could come,” added Singer.

Each Bear Academy differs based on which students show up. “I can go from helping a freshman work on a history paper to helping a junior with his or her English paper,” Reilly explained, “I even helped a student with her Biology homework last week.” The teachers circulate around the room, going from people to people based on what questions they have. Singer puts the students that show up to her room into groups based on what class they’re in, so she can be more efficient in helping them.

“Students need to be more aware of it,” said Reilly. “Each week, more kids show up because they hear about it. It’s easy to stay after because of the late bus, and people need to take advantage of it.” Singer agreed, saying “Even if you didn’t have a specific question, it’s just people doing work in a good work environment. Plus, there are snacks!”

Anyone interested in learning more about Bear Academy should contact Ms. Crowley, Mrs. Reilly or Ms. Singer.  Any student is welcome to stay after on Tuesdays and Thursdays; there is no sign-up required.