A Mission to Help Haiti

Story by Sienna Ponte, Staff Writer

Helping Haiti, a fundraiser group at Stonington High School, experienced a setback when the advisor, Madame Fiore, switched schools within the Stonington district.  Despite its uncertain future, senior Trinity Pelloni still felt very passionate about the club and had a large part in ensuring that the club made comeback for the 2017-2018 school year. The club’s mission is to raise money in order to help a Haitian orphanage that houses more than sixty children. When asked why she joined the club, Pelloni responded, “It was a club that made such a big difference in the children’s lives and it was for a great cause. I wanted to continue to do it and I want to make sure that other students get involved so it continues to impact others.” Ms. Motycka, the club’s new advisor, said that Pelloni was mainly the one who was interested in bringing the club back and she was there to support her with it.

Pelloni’s goal for this club is to make at least $1,500 by the end of the year. She hopes to raise awareness and get as many people involved as possible. The club recently sponsored “Hat Day” at SHS and was able to raise about $200 in donations. “We’ll continue to do fundraisers and make sure we hit our goal for the children,” Pelloni commented.  When asked about the club’s future, Ms. Motycka added, “I think the school has a connection with the orphanage and I think Trinity and I agree to continue that relationship with them.”