Politics Meet High School: SHS Has A New Club

Story by Alexis Gomes, Staff Writer

The Politics Club is a new club at Stonington High School, co-founded by juniors Daisy Williams and Hannah Lamb. The club meets Wednesday mornings before school, and is advised by Mr. McCarney. During club meetings, the twenty-six members of the club analyze news bias, debate certain issues and discuss current events. Each meeting focuses on a certain current issue that is of debate: gender bias, for example.

Prior to the formation of this club, there was not another group like it at SHS, and political discussion was limited. Lamb and Williams formed the club to allow for members to be able to discuss politics within the school with their peers. In Lamb’s opinion, it is crucial to be politically aware, especially in our current climate, where politics are at the forefront more than ever. “Nowadays, we need to form beliefs separate from influences from family and the media,” she says. “We should be able to vote consciously, and identify news bias.”

Connecticut is typically a “blue state”, voting Democrat for the past seven Presidential elections. During the last Presidential election, 5,635 Stonington residents voted for Hillary Clinton, 4,081 voted for Donald Trump, 144 for Green Party candidate Jill Stein and 302 for the Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson. As many Connecticut residents are liberal, the club does lean slightly left. Those with more Conservative values are still welcomed, though, as it generates discussion and lets others experience different views. “There are representatives from all groups,” Lamb says. “We have 26 members, everyone has their own opinion on things.”

As political awareness is important to Lamb, she encourages anyone interested in politics to attend a club meeting. Anyone interested should speak to Mr. McCarney, Daisy or Hannah, or simply attend a meeting and listen in on the discussions.