Little Women: the Musical at Stonington High

Story by Abby Wang, Co-Editor in Chief

Stonington High School’s drama department performed three shows of Little Women from November 17 to 19.

Little Women is a story about four sisters living in Concord, Massachusetts, during the Civil War. The story spans the childhoods and coming-of-age of Meg, Josephine, Beth, and Amy March. However, the plot line most prominently follows the journey of the second eldest, Josephine.

Josephine, or Jo, is a tomboy and an aspiring writer—in all ways unconventional for a girl of her time. Played by junior Grace Gilbert, she dazzles the audience with her resolute nonconformity and passion for storytelling. Her relationship with her younger sister Beth, played by freshman Chloe Kolbenheyer, is one of the most central relationships in the story: “You are my sunshine, Beth,” Jo proclaims. When Beth falls to scarlet fever, everybody in the audience feels Jo’s anguish.

Yet Jo’s consistent portrayal of herself as a self-sufficient woman does not deter her best friend Laurie, played by senior Sam Snediker, from proposing marriage. Unlike her older sister Meg, played by senior Emily Kulick, who happily weds Laurie’s tutor John Brooke, played by junior Ben Huynh, Jo does not think she wants to get married. Her friendship with Laurie dissolves and they part ways, Laurie to college and Jo to New York.

In a shocking twist, Laurie encounters Amy, played by senior Piper Meyers, in Europe while on a trip with her Aunt March, played by senior Jessica Weber, and the two fall in love and wed before returning home. By this point, Beth has passed away—Jo leaves New York, where she was staying at the boarding house of Professor Bhaer, played by sophomore Chris Carabello, to support Beth during her illness.

The romantic relationship between Jo and Bhaer is hinted at in the first scenes of the play, leaving the audience to wonder if and when these two will finally communicate their feelings. Bhaer, who criticizes Jo’s frivolous fiction, is still one of her biggest supporters; it is easy to see how Bhaer and Jo are a better match than the initially immature Laurie.

Anybody in the audience can relate to Jo’s artistic fervor and ambition, or take joy in Beth’s relentless positivity and support. Anybody can remember the envy that Amy feels toward Jo, but still be proud of Amy for her eventual character development. Little Women, with its electrifying musical score and eclectic blend of characters, stuns the audience with its honest portrayal of human emotions and dreams.