Senior Spotlight: Jake and Max Mueller

Story by Colette Dreher, Associate Writer

Seniors Max and Jake Mueller are not only brothers, but they are also best friends. The twins have been involved in several different activities over their four years at Stonington High.  Max is involved in Bear Buddies, sports such as lacrosse and track, and unified sports. He added, “I don’t know if donating blood counts as being involved but I did that last Friday.” Jake said, “I’m involved in many extracurricular activities. For sports, my main focus is lacrosse. I’m also a member of various clubs including Bear Buddies and unified sports.”

When asked what their favorite high school memory is, Max said, “When I was in track, I was at the ECC meet, and I had three throws to try and get points for our team. However, on one of my throws I didn’t get past the 38-foot mark to get into the state meet, so I was disappointed. However, they picked the top 8 throwers, one of them being me, and all of those people got 3 more throws. On those throws, I got passed the 38-foot mark which was my goal for track junior year. It was great.” Jake said his best memory was just recently when he was walking into school on the first day of his senior year.  

If the boys could give their freshmen selves some advice, Max said his would be to “always be confident in my decisions and to always challenge myself.” Jake said that his would be “to be bold and allow myself to grow and become a unique and hardworking person.”

Both of the boys are very excited for their futures. When asked what their plans and goals are after high school, Max’s is to get into Duke University during early decision and to study computer engineering.  Jake said, “I’m perusing a degree in Electrical Engineering and hope I get to go to school at North Carolina State to accomplish that.”
The boys have been inseparable since birth, and a question that I could not help but ask was how they are going to adapt to being away from each other if they end up going to different schools. Max’s response was, “Well if we end up going to different schools, then I think it’s going to be a learning experience because it will force me to make new friends and straighten out my problems related to school and my social life by myself.”  Jake said, “It’ll be something that I will have to adapt to. Since I’m looking to go to school far away from home anyways, the transition shouldn’t be as difficult since I plan to be away from people I know anyway. I look forward to making new friends and becoming apart of new social groups.”