Sophomore Spotlight: Lily Anderson

Story by Jessica Weber, Co-Editor in Chief

If you ever hear someone laughing in the hallway, it is probably sophomore Lily Anderson, whose constant bright and lighthearted disposition makes Stonington High School a better place to be. Whether she is telling a joke, waving to someone in the hallway, or sending her friends music suggestions, she truly embodies the definition of caring.

Yet Lily’s talents don’t stop at being a good friend; she is an exceptional runner and student as well. She recently placed second at ECCs for her age division in cross country.

“Last year I came in twenty-first at ECCs with a time of 23:12 so I didn’t place because they only take the top fifteen,” Lily explains. “This year I got second and my time was 21:20.”

This is a big turn of events, which only goes to show Lily’s level of determination and work ethic.

“It’s really weird because during my run I definitely didn’t feel like I was going hard enough to achieve second place,” Lily says. “It really just depends on how [other competitors] feel on that day.”

While Lily equates her success at ECCs to how other runners performed at a lesser quality than usual, it is clear that her placement was well earned — her time dropped by a minute and thirty-two seconds.

Lily says she decided to start running when her father began to race in marathons.

“I wanted to do that too and he also urged me to keep on doing it and it just kind of stuck,” Lily recalls. “I love cross country because the team probably [has] the greatest group of people ever. I love everyone so much and since the team is so small we all become really close with each other. Being surrounded by them really helps.”

When she isn’t running or doing homework, Lily likes to take naps and hang out with her friends and dogs. She is also a part of Stonington High School’s Interact Club.

“I participate in local or global service projects like the annual Meal Packaging Event,” Lily describes. “And I’m so excited to go to RYLA this spring!”

A natural born leader and friend, Lily Anderson is truly the embodiment of the type of person everyone should have in their life, and we are lucky to have her at Stonington High School.