Mock Trial Gears Up For New Year

Story by Alexis Gomes, Associate Editor

On Thursday, September 21st, the first meeting of the new Mock Trial team was held in Mr. Walter’s room. Students of all grades crowded in, buzzing about the case that they were required to read in preparation. Only four members, seniors Abby Wang, Jessica Weber, Harper Ryan, and Sophia Anderson, were returning members, the rest being new members excited to experience Mock Trial for the first time.

There are twelve people on every Mock Trial team who assume the roles of witnesses and attorneys, both for the prosecution and defense. Mock Trial meets every Sunday at the Stonington Police Station from 7-9 pm in order to practice their presentation of the case. During the practice, an attorney helps guide the team to success. The first practice of many was held on October 1st.

Competition for Mock Trial is typically held in a courtroom in western Connecticut in December. SHS’ prosecution team goes against another’s defense, and vice versa. The case is presented as a normal case, with opening statements, testimonies the only difference is that there are few restrictions. A normal trial would have countless witnesses, but Mock Trial significantly reduces the amount. Also unlike a real trial, a verdict is not reached; the team’s success is based on how well they did in each aspect of the case presentation. If the team wins, they advance on to more competitions. The final is held at the Connecticut Supreme Court in Hartford and is judged by the justices.

Competitions are single elimination. Unlike a sports team, where you play numerous games in order to advance, the Mock Trial team only gets one shot. “You take one whack at the piñata, and if you miss, you’re done,” Mr. Walter said.

In three adjectives, Mr. Walter described Mock Trial as fun, rewarding, and hard work. “You fight with your brain,” he explained. Mock Trial is intellectually challenging, forcing the members to think critically about criminal cases and develop strong teamwork skills. This year’s case, a complex sea murder involving numerous suspects, possible foul play, and the scientific debate of hypnosis in regards to repressed memories, is extremely complicated and will require a significant amount of time and effort from the team.

Those involved in Mock Trial have to be dedicated to the club by reading all material given, showing up to practices, memorizing their roles, and presenting themselves in a professional manner.

Although the practices have already begun, those interested in Mock Trial should still talk to Mr. Walter to receive an application, handbook, and case. Anyone with a strong work ethic and an interest in law or criminology should consider joining — the team needs strong members if it is going to win this year.