SHS Hosts Virtual Athletic Awards Night for Class of 2020

Story by Sarah Flakus, Editor/Staff Writer

Despite Covid-19 causing the end to in-person classes and school activities, SHS still managed to hold virtual award ceremonies for the class of 2020, including a virtual Athletic Awards Night. Thursday night at 6 p.m. Mr. Morrone and Mr. MacDonald hosted a Zoom call with coaches, parents, and the SHS student-athletes receiving the awards.

Mr. Morrone and Mr. MacDonald recognized the excellent successes and efforts that went into the fall and winter sports seasons this year, naming all of the ECC, and All-State award winners from each season. They also announced the winners to 10 other awards recognizing the great achievements of this year’s class. 17 student-athletes received awards. The winners of each award are:

1. The CAS-CIAC Scholar-Athletes: Sarah Flakus and Rhys Hammond
  2. Southeastern CT Chapter of the National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete: Joshua Curtain
  3. SHS Athletic Boosters Scholarships: Emma Anderson, Tyler Fidrych, Lucas Holliman, Brenna McNeil, and Zoe Ribiero
  4. The United States Army Reserve National Scholar-Athlete Awards: Mary Gray and Sam Light
  5. The United States Marine Corps Distinguished Athlete Awards: Gwen Anderson and Jake Verbridge
  6. The National Federation of State Coaches Associations- Zoe Ribiero and Tyler Fidrych
  7. The Stonington High School Coaches Cup- Lily Anderson
  8. The Stonington High School Scholar-Athlete Cups: Kaira Wiltshire and Will Cannella
  9. The Tuite Cup-“Best Male Athlete”: Rhys Hammond
  10. The Kenny-Daly Cup-“Best Female Athlete”: Sarah Flakus

Mr. Morrone will be delivering each award to the recipient on Tuesday morning.

The virtual celebrations for the class of 2020 will continue on Monday, June 8 with the Senior Awards Banquet video.