Stonington Boys Soccer Wins Class M State Championship

Story by Nicole Haberek, Staff Writer and Editor

On Saturday, the Stonington Boys Soccer Team faced off against Ellington High School to win the Class M State Championship, 1-0. The game took place at Dillon Stadium in Hartford. The team had an undefeated season with a record of 19-0-2 and won the first state title since 1993, which they shared with RHAM.

The first half of the game was scoreless, both teams defenses doing amazing jobs containing the other from scoring. The game-winning goal was scored five minutes into the second half by sophomore Wynn Hammond. Senior Tyler Fidrych kicked a corner kick to the box, where the ball met Hammond’s head, and he shot it past the Knight’s goalie into the net. This was Hammond’s second goal of the season and Fidrych’s 34th assist of the season.

Stonington goalie, senior Peter Fernholz, kept the Ellington Knights from getting on the scoreboard. He made many close saves and was a big reason for the victory. Stonington’s backline defended very well, making exceptional saves and keeping the Knights from scoring. Fidrych won MVP of the game due to his remarkable performance. 

The turnout from the community was incredible with a packed student section and parents and community members filling up the stands. As the clock hit zero, it was a moment that the players, students and everyone else in the stands from the community will never forget. Students and parents flooded the guard rails of the bleachers to congratulate the players and coaches. As the team’s bus came back into town, they had a police escort to celebrate the win and to meet family and friends back at the high school.