Three Schools Come Together For Annual Unified Softball Game

Story by Sarah Flakus, Staff Writer

On Monday, June 3, the Stonington High School Softball Team hosted their second annual Unified Softball Game. The Unified Clubs from SHS, and both Pawcatuck and Mystic middle schools came together at the SHS field for an hour and a half of softball fun.

The game began at 3:00, and the group was split between the different schools. The Pawcatuck Panthers played against the Mystic Cubs and the Stonington Bears. The SHS softball team were the all-time fielders. Each softball player picked a unified “buddy” from both teams to help out in the field and talk to. The main goal of the game was for the unified players to make all the plays and be the stars; the SHS players were there for support and for if anybody needed help.

The game was a great event for all involved, with unified kids and the high schoolers talking and laughing the whole time. “I think this was a great thing to do for the kids because they don’t really get the chance to be fully involved in school sports.” Said Tori LoPresto. “This let them be a part of a team for a little bit and they were the stars which was awesome to see.”

After the game, all players received new unified shirts for the new “Stonington Middle School” which is opening next year, bringing together both Pawcatuck and Mystic middle schools.

All players, coaches, and parents also sat down at the pavilions near the field after the game and enjoyed pizza and snacks. “My favorite part was probably eating afterward because it was so cool talking to all of the Unified kids and hearing about their lives. They are all really cool kids and it was just overall a good experience.” Said SHS player, Maddy Stepski.

This game was a very huge success as it brought together kids from all different schools for a very good cause and all SHS softball players are really looking forward to next year’s game.