Bears Softball Defeats Ledyard Colonels with a Powerful Seventh Inning

Story by Sarah Flakus, Staff Writer

On Monday, May 6, the Stonington Bears Softball Team defeated the Ledyard High Colonels 11-4 in their seventh win of the season.

The game was very much anticipated for the Bears after their loss against the Colonels last season knocked them out of the ECC Championship Tournament.

An out-of-the-park homerun by Maddy Stepski in the second inning gave the Bears a 1-0 lead. Then, the Colonels scored three runs in the next three innings bringing the score to 1-3. Then in the sixth and seventh innings, the Bears strung a line of hits together, earning them 10 more runs.

Along with her home run, Stepski got two more hits, and four RBIs. Miranda Arruda contributed two hits, and Colette Dreher and Sarah Flakus both doubled.

In the first few innings, the Bears struggled with adjusting to the outside pitch the Ledyard pitcher, Samantha Money, was throwing. But by the end of the game, they had found their groove, and seven of their twelve hits all game occurred in the top of the seventh.

Elaina Previty pitched the first four innings, with Cayla Beverly coming in for the last two.

The Bears continue their season with a game against New London High School on Tuesday, May 7.