Boys Basketball Knocked Out of State Tournament in Double OT Thriller

Story by Ben Fyke, Staff Writer

The Bears’ basketball season came to an end Friday, with a 69-67 double-overtime loss to the St. Joseph High School Cadets in the D-IV state quarterfinal tournament.

The game was exciting with frequent lead changes, as both teams lead by only a margin of 2 or 4 at any point during both overtime periods. The Cadets scored the winning basket in the last 10 seconds of the game, leaving the Bears to travel the entire court with only a few seconds left. Junior Zach Scott attempted to score a winning 3-point shot, but missed, advancing St. Joseph’s of Trumbull to the semifinal tournament.

Stonington’s two wins this year in the state tournament is the furthest they have advanced since the 2011 season. They had previously won against Northwestern and Old Saybrook

Despite the loss, the team still put up decent numbers: Scott scored 22 points, and senior RJ Parilla ended with 16. The team is expected to come back strong next year, and possibly capture the state title for the first time in many years.