2019 SHS Softball Season Preview

Story by Sarah Flakus, Staff Writer

March is coming up which means that spring sports are just around the corner. All teams are beginning to prepare for the beginning of the season, and for one SHS team, this season is going to look very different.

Earlier this year, SHS science teacher Todd Gwaltney announced that he would be leaving the Stonington Softball coaching staff starting this season. Gwaltney was the Assistant Varsity coach and was majorly responsible for coaching the outfield.

Head Coach, Ann Marie Houle, and J.V. Coaches Tim Bousquet and Jeff Moore will remain on the coaching staff, with the help of Gwaltney’s uncle, “Uncle Rodge.”

Joining them on the coaching staff, in Gwaltney’s previous position, is MMS gym teacher, Amanda Illinger. The team is excited to welcome her to the Bears family.

Last year the team graduated five seniors, four of which held starting varsity positions and contributed greatly to their successful season. Although this is a great loss, the team’s hopes are still very high because of all the talent remaining on the team and in the new freshman.

Last season, SHS softball had a regular season record of 14-6, and lost in the Class M State Championship Quarter Finals.

Heading into this season, the Bears are very excited, and want to keep the success of last year and bring it into this season.