Indoor Track is Underway

Story by Ava Schrage, Staff Writer

Thursday, November 29th, marked the beginning of the indoor track season. With about 110 people signed up, most of which being freshmen, this season is highly anticipated to be successful, according to Coach Bowne. While it’s too late to sign up for this season, it’s not too early to start thinking about doing outdoor track and field in the spring or even consider doing it next year in 2019-2020.

Regular season practices will be after school from 2:15 to 4:45 until the end of January. Practices will be mainly outside, where they focus on flexibility before running and doing stations. When inside, however, practices will be in the weight room where they’ll work on overall strength training, especially for those involved in disc-throwing and javelin, but everyone involved in track will be doing this.

After regular practices, there’s ECC championship meets that run through February and March if athletes qualify. Last year there were 48 students who qualified for this in the indoor season, which was approximately half of those in the sport, while, according to Mr. Bowne, most schools only have a couple students who participate on average.