Get Prepared for the Annual Thanksgiving Day Football Game!

Story by Nicole Haberek, Staff Writer

On Thursday, November 22, the annual Stonington vs. Westerly Thanksgiving Day Football Game will take place on the Westerly High School Football Field. The game will begin at 10 a.m.

Stonington High School has a record of 1-8 for this football season. Westerly High School has a record of 8-2. Stonington leads the rivalry with a record of 74-67

This game started back in 1911 and to this day it is an event that many from Westerly and Stonington look forward to. Part of this yearly tradition is that the location of the game is switched every year between the two high schools.

Every year current high school students, past high school students, and many people in the community come to show support for the two teams. It is a way for the community to come together and celebrate this tradition. The turnout every year is in the thousands.

In anticipation for the game, both schools have spirit weeks and a rally during school the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. On Saturday, November 17, the annual Mel’s Downtown Creamery Ice Cream Eating Contest took place. This is when football players from both teams go to the ice cream shop and eat the Big Kahuna. Whoever finishes first wins and this year the Stonington boys came out on top.

If you haven’t made it to a Thanksgiving Day Game yet, it is an experience you don’t want to miss! Tickets will be sold this week in the office and Turkey Day Game shirts will be sold in the Bear Cage during homebase.