Girls Varsity Soccer Team Advances to the ECC Finals Game While Boys Suffer a Loss

Story by Gabby Ross, Staff Writer

Friday, October 26th was the date of the quarterfinals ECC game for both of the boys and girls varsity soccer teams. The boys played in the Division 1 tournament against Fitch, while the girls played in the Division 2 tournament against Griswold. Both teams pulled out a win. The boys had a score of 3-0, thanks to Tyler Fidrych’s two goals and Jake O’Keefe’s solo goal. The girls had a score of 6-0, with goals by Holly Foster, Megan Detwiler, Jess Detwiler, Emma Sabbadini, and two goals by Vanessa Benjamin. Both teams moved onto the semifinals Tuesday.

Tuesday, October 30th at 7 pm both the boys and girls teams played their semifinal game. Girls played against Tourtellotte at Montville and the boys played against Woodstock Academy at New London High School. The girls pulled another win with a score of 4-0, with goals by Kaleigh Bolduc, Megan Detwiler, and two by Vanessa Benjamin. Meanwhile, the boys had a very tough game and went into two overtimes. They were in the lead (1-0) from Graham Johnstone’s goal off Sam Montalto’s assist. Woodstock scored, which then carried them into an overtime, where neither of the teams scored, carrying them into a second overtime. By the end of the long game, the Bears had a great upset with a score of 2-1, Woodstock.

Even though the boys may have lost, the girls are moving onto the finals tomorrow, November 1st, 7 PM at Montville against Montville. Don’t forget, tickets are Adults- $8, Students- $5, Senior Citizens- $5, Children under 5 years of age are admitted free.