Annual Play for the Cure Field Hockey Game a Milestone for Both Coach Tuccio and Breast Cancer Survivors Everywhere

Back to Article
Back to Article

photo by CS Spencer

photo by CS Spencer

photo by CS Spencer

Story by Sarah Flakus, Staff Writer

Not only was the annual Play for the Cure field hockey game on Saturday, October 20 a 3-0 victory for the Stonington Bears, but is was a victory for those affected by breast cancer as well.

Through donations, the SHS field hockey team raised over $500 to help fund Breast Cancer research. The field was decorated in all things pink, with the players also wearing pink jerseys and socks to show support.

When asked why this was such an important game, Sophomore Teagan O’Brien said, “This game really brings people together because everyone is affected in some way by cancer, and raising money and awareness for a cure makes us realize that there are more important things in life than just winning some game. It is about supporting those in need which I feel is the most important thing.”

This game was also a personal victory for Stonington’s head coach Jenna Tuccio, as it marked her 200th win with the team. After the game, the players and parents bestowed her with flowers, balloons, and a big poster to celebrate this great accomplishment. Coach Tuccio has been in charge of the Stonington Field Hockey program for many seasons and is a big part of how the team has won the ECC tournament for the past 22 years.

“She truly is the best coach I have ever had. The amount of time she dedicates to the team really shows how much she cares about both the sport itself and all the players,” said junior Gracie Todisco. All of the players, parents, and all of the other coaches are extremely proud of this accomplishment that Coach Tuccio has achieved.

The Stonington Field Hockey team continues their regular season with a game against East Lyme on Thursday, October 25, which also determines the ECC title.

Jill Holland starts to carry the ball up the field.