The SHS Cheerleading Team is More than Just Pep-Rallies

Story by Jessica Weber, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Stonington High School cheerleaders play a pivotal role in the development of campus culture and school spirit. Their presence is evident at every football and basketball game throughout the fall and winter seasons. They perform innovative routines, often times choreographed to music, during their halftime shows and cheer SHS teams on from the sidelines. They have become an important aspect of the Thanksgiving Turkey Day Game, pep rallies, and Stonington High School in general.

What many students don’t know, however, is that the cheer season does not fully revolve around other SHS sports and events. After basketball season, they continue on to compete within the area and throughout the state against other local teams.

Hannah Sherron, a senior cheerleader, describes how the team prepares for cheerleading competitions, commonly known as “comps.”

“We try to work together as a team to build up bonds throughout the year,” Sherron explains.

Due to the smaller number of incoming freshmen cheerleaders and a large number of outgoing girls, the team was able to bond in a special way this year. Sherron describes how pasta dinners and a general sense of togetherness has been specific to this season.

“At competition we need to work really well together,” she says. “It takes all that time from the beginning of July, when we start learning sidelines for football up until now to get to work together as well as we do. Now the season is all about us.”

Although it is not often recognized, cheerleading competitions are high energy, high risk, and high reward.

“We only get two and a half minutes. We only get one shot,” Sherron explains. “If a football player makes a mistake he can always score more points. We make a mistake and we don’t get another chance.”

Sherron, who is unsure of whether she will continue to cheer competitively when she goes on to college, equates her senior year success to the cheer team.

“It’s been kind of hectic but I have had such an amazing team to work with through everything that has happened this year,” she explains. “I couldn’t ask for a better team.”  

The Stonington High School Cheerleading competition schedule consists of two invitational meets, the ECC competition that will take place this weekend, and the Connecticut state-wide competition during the following week.