Stonington High sophomore represents SHS in wrestling

Sophomore Sam Light is all smiles on the podium after winning at the ECC Tournament.

Story by Isabelle Ryan, Staff Writer

The newly-added Stonington High School wrestling team is the first Stonington wrestling team since the 1970’s. It was started only two years ago by Sam Light, a current Stonington sophomore, and his parents during his freshman year. He decided to start the team when he came to Stonington after wrestling for four years prior, and wanting to continue.

The wrestling team is smaller than most teams, as it only consists of Light who practices every day at Fitch High School. Fitch has a very good wrestling team who Light can practice and train with. Light also has the same coach as Fitch, Mark Kosman, but wears the Stonington uniform during matches.

Light has had a great season with a record of 20 wins and 6 losses. He also won ECC’s on February 10th. When asked if he is hoping to expand the team, Light stated, “Technically it is a team of one, so for insurance reasons we can’t have more than three people, but we will see what happens in the future.” This newly added wrestling “team” is doing incredibly well for only having one member.