The Cross Country Team Celebrates ECC Results

Story by Isabelle Ryan, Staff Writer

The Stonington Cross Country team placed 8th in ECC’s and gets to move on to the state tournament as a result of their teams’ great effort.

When Andrew Connelly and Kyle Remmert were asked how they were feeling knowing their team did so well at ECC’s, they both agreed that it felt pretty good. Remmert stated, “I’m really proud of my teammates. Our goal was to get five runners under 20 minutes and we exceeded our goal.” Connelly commented that it feels great knowing that all of their hard work they put into their team paid off. As the team enters States, there are new goals being set and new achievements to be reached. Andrew added that he hopes to see the team “carry the momentum from ECC’s into states.” Remmert agreed, stating that he hopes to see the team “place better then we did last year and for everybody to improve their times.”

The Cross Country’s team season started off with a little “tough love” from their coach, Jenna Ross, which Connelly described as “long, long runs in the heat, or brutal track workouts.” Starting off the season with only two kids runners under 20 minutes, it is clear that the tough love has paid off tremendously for their team. Remmert stated that their coach is responsible for the team’s great effort. He said, “she continually pushes us to our limits for the benefit of the team.”

For most people who know the sport of Cross Country, it seems like a very individualized sport. However, when asked how their team works together,  both Remmert and Connelly had some very inspiring things to say. Kyle commented, “we are all so close in time we all try to push each other and stay close together throughout the races to get the best score for our team.” Remmert agreed, adding, “everyone, boy or girl, JV or Varsity, we all run the same race and suffer the same workouts in practice so we push each other to get where the team needs to be.”