Senior Bears Reflect on Final Season

The seniors of the SHS football team. From the left: Hayden Parrilla, Travis Pacheco, Ben Logel, Josh Georgetti, Jon Humphrey, Kevin Ferrer, Jack Corley, Jared Rudzinsky and Justin Babin.

Story by Isabelle Ryan, Staff Writer

When it comes to high school football, most people think of Friday nights in the bleachers cheering for their home team. But what does football mean to the players? More specifically, what does Stonington High Football mean to the seniors who are playing their last season on the Palmer field?

When asked how they are feeling about playing their last season on the field, the senior players came to a consensus that they are sad to see it come to an end but exhilarated to see what the future has in store. Kevin Ferrer, who is a running back, linebacker, and safety for the Bears, says the seasons have gone by so fast. Ferrer  is excited to be out on the field for a fourth year because, as he said, “it is our final year to prove ourselves as a team.” The seniors have very common goals for this upcoming final season; to win games and to have fun while it lasts. Hayden Parrilla, who plays running back wearing number 4, is setting the goal to keep a perfect record and make All-state.

Coach Massengale, who has been the head coach for 14 years, said he is proud of his seniors showing up every day and working hard. Massengale is enjoying the time he has with the upperclassmen before they graduate. He gave his seniors the following advice as they entered their last season,“It’s going to go really fast, it’ll be the quickest three months of your life so far. Don’t take it for granted. Have fun and keep perspective.”

Coach Massengale has a much different approach than his senior players; get better and improve as much as they can every day. Each week, he strives for the team to be the best prepared they can be, working hard and not letting the game get the best of them. Coach Massengale said that, as far as the team goes, “we treat each week as if it is a different season.”

As their last season begins, “the seniors start to recognize and appreciate all the memories, from waking up at 4:30 for early morning workouts”, to the annual Turkey Day Game. When Jon Humphrey, who plays as a tight end, as well as offensive line, is asked what he is going to miss most about being apart of the Stonington High School Bears’ football team he commented, “having the community around us and playing for such a good program.” It is clear that the football team means an immense amount to all the guys who are apart of it. Joshua Georgetti said that, in the end, his best memories of the team were the early morning workouts. Even though they were not his favorite thing to do at the time, he admitted, “in the end, it’s what made us better, that’s what I appreciate.”

The seniors who have been on the team since their freshman year have been able to bond with their coaches and have relied on them both on and off of the field. Georgetti said that his coaches have not only helped him respond to different situations and play the game, but that they have helped him to become a leader as well. Similarly, Humphrey said his coaches have had a big impact on his life by way of “mentoring me and keeping me in the right path.” For all the students in the stands, football is a Friday night event with whistles blowing and cheerleaders flying, but for the players in brown out on the field, it is much more than that. For the seniors playing their last season, it is saying goodbye to teammates and coaches who have become like a second family.