Girls’ Cross Country: An Interview with the Captains

Story by Abby Wang, Co-Editor in Chief

Coming off their ECC Division victory last year, the Stonington High girls’ cross country team looks to build upon that success.

“We want to improve from here; we can only get better,” girls’ co-captain Brielle Fratoni-Jaskiewicz said.

Fratoni-Jaskiewicz and Liz Gray, the two captains and only seniors, have both competed for Stonington for all four years.

Not only did the Bears win the Division title, some individual girls placed well at the State Championships last year. “We have young talent,” Gray said. The two captains highlight sophomore Lily Anderson as a growing talent; “She really dedicates herself over the summer and her times in the fall show it.”

“Running has always been about meeting your personal goals, not about whether or not you’re first or second,” Gray emphasized. “We work every single day to ensure that.”

But what is the key component to the team’s success?

“As a captain, I want to get the entire team, boys and girls, to come to practice with a good attitude… I want them to learn the importance of what it means to be a ‘team,” Fratoni-Jaskiewicz stated.

The concept and execution of teamwork is one that has been crucial to the success of not only of the entire girls’ cross country team, but of individuals as well. As leaders on the team, Fratoni-Jaskiewicz and Gray take their contribution to this team-oriented environment seriously.

The Bears certainly have been successful: there is hardly anybody in the ECC who can be considered true competition. “We’ve never had that one team to beat. We just go out there to try and beat ourselves,” commented Fratoni-Jaskiewicz.

Despite what may happen this season, the captains look to leave behind their own type of legacy.

With her graduation, Fratoni-Jaskiewicz said, “I’d rather be remembered as a hard worker and somebody who loves the team and sport and every individual on the team. I’d rather be missed like that than missed because a spot is gone.”

She cited former Stonington athlete Hannah Lyon as her continuing role model in keeping a positive team atmosphere. “I have learned to model my behavior as a captain and as a runner off the seniors before me. My goal is for some random freshman to look back and think, ‘Wow. Brielle was always really nice.’”

Gray feels similarly: “I want to be remembered as a great captain because I supported the team.”