Boys’ Soccer 2017: The Captains’ Take on the Season

Story by Colette Dreher, Staff Writer

One of the many competitive and interesting sports that take place in the fall is boys’ soccer. This sport has always been one of Stonington’s most loved and appreciated sports. Last year, the boys’ soccer team won their first ECC championship in several years and progressed throughout the state tournament. After speaking to the senior captains, Cameron Whalen, Adam Gibbs, and Jason Kilcoyne, it is obvious that the team wants to do nothing but improve on last year’s successes.

Cameron had many goals in mind, including having a better record, winning the ECC Division Championship, as well as going further in the state tournament than the team did last year.  Whalen jokingly added, “and to have under five yellow cards, as last year we had thirteen” to his list of goals. Kilcoyne said that he wants “to go down as one of the greatest teams to play for Stonington High School.” Gibbs had similar goals as his co-captains, but also knows that failures and losses are acceptable and the team must grow from them. Gibbs said, “If we don’t win everything, our season won’t be a disappointment. But, we have dreams to be the best. After winning the Piver Cup and starting 7-0, we are excited for what’s to come.”

Every year, when senior players graduate, the team must adjust. Varsity goalie Joey Rosa was a part of the 2017 graduating class, leaving the goalkeeper spot open for Gibbs to claim. Gibbs said, “after being a JV junior, I’ve been looking forward to this season for a while and just actually seeing the field and getting playing time.” Gibbs hopes to step up as a leader and work hard to bring his team to success. Whalen and Kilcoyne said that they are looking forward to spending their last soccer season with a great team, made up of boys they have been playing with since they first began soccer.

With being captain comes many responsibilities. Kilcoyne commented that “there’s the responsibility part of making sure the team has everything like balls, cones, and water. Then there’s the leader part, where everyone on the team looks at you for guidance so you must lead by example, which means being the best person you can be all the time, not just at practice.” The three boys who were chosen to be captain strive to be good leaders and encourage players of all ages to do their best on and off the field. With this being said, Whalen added that “anyone on the team can be a leader, there’s just three of us wearing the bands.”

When asked how the players feel about this being their last soccer season playing for  Stonington, they all initially felt sad because they know that this is the beginning of the end. Whalen said, “on one hand, I’m excited that it’s my last year, I want to make it good. But, I’m also sad that it’s a season of lasts. The last time I’ll play in certain places, eventually the last time I wear some brown and white, and the last time I play with kids I’ve been with since we were ten.” This time in a players’ life is bittersweet, but the captains know that they can not dwell on the sadness; they have to just keep moving forward with their season. Jason agreed that “it’s a lot easier to look back at the past years, games, and teams that I’ve been apart of and realize that playing soccer for Stonington is probably going to be one of the greatest memories of my life.”   

Overall, the 2017 boys’ soccer team knows that working hard every day will make them one of the top teams in the ECC. It is expected that the boys will have a successful season, improving from their previous records and reaching the goals they have set for themselves.