Stonington’s Thanksgiving Rally History

Story by Rose Williams, Staff Writer

For over 100 years Stonington and Westerly have gone head-to-head battling for the Thanksgiving Day win. Their rivalry is one of the oldest in the country. Starting in 1913 when the two teams tied 0-0, they have continued an ongoing tradition of playing each Thanksgiving day.

According to http://www.rihssports.com/Thanksgiving%20Football/Results/WES%20VS%20STON.htm , since 1911, Stonington and Westerly have played 98 games against each other: Stonington winning 44, Westerly winning 45, and the two teams tying 9 times. Stonington has been on a continuing winning streak since 2012 and have big hopes for winning this year.

Throughout the years, Stonington High School has held a rally to pump up the school and the players for the big game. The rally is held on a half day, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. During this week the school holds a spirit week, and during the rally each grade participates in color wars.

At the rally, the football team sings “Here’s to Old Stonington,” the Stonington High School Cheer. They also get decorated boxes made by the cheerleaders that include candy and notes wishing them luck in the big game.

Stonington rallies in the past have included activities such as having the football players dressing up students in their gear, the senior football players doing skits, a runway with dressed up players, and more.

img_8401 One of SHS’s football captains, Nick Morenzoni, is pumped for this years Thanksgiving Day game, saying, “This is every football players favorite time of the year because they get to take part in a very fun and exciting pep rally whose main focus is on them and the historic rivalry game against Westerly.”

Ms. Norcoss, English teacher and Stonington graduate of the class of ’86, gave me some information on some pep rallies throughout the 80s. “The entire student body was in the gym, everybody got really into it. It was a longstanding tradition even then, so that’s over 30 years ago. The rallies have been going on, for sure, for a really long time, it’s always been something we’ve done. I think that because the town has changed a little bit, not everyone is as aware of the history that goes on like how many years this has been going on as a game and how historic it is. I think there is a nice blend in our rallies now of talking about the history giving speeches, and also things to get everybody being humorous.”

img_8400

The annual game will be held on Thursday, November 24, at 10:00am.

Let’s go bears!

Here’s To Old Stonington

Here’s to old Stonington,
here’s to her nam.e
She is our guiding star
That leads us up to
F-A-M-E
Here’s to old Stonington
Steadfast and true
We’ll be so happy
While we’re here with you

RAH, RAH!