New members welcomed into the SHS chapter of The National Honor Society

(Left to right) Kate Johnson, Izadora Yarnall and Miranda Arruda are all new members of NHS. Yarnall will be the Historian for the SHS chapter of NHS.

Story by Isabelle Ryan, Staff Writer

The National Honor Society’s new members were inducted on May 2 at Latitude 41 in Mystic. The event began with speeches from the current officers, Charlotte Johnstone (President), Riley Casadei (Vice-President), Trinity Lennon (Secretary(, Abby Wang (Treasurer), Halle Anderson (Parliamentarian), and Lily Bockowski (Historian). Halle Anderson also shared her poem, Young Voices Will Not Be Silenced, as the poet laureate. The candle lighting ceremony followed dinner as the current members lit the candles of the new members. New members were pledged into the society and finally pinned by their parents.

As advisors of NHS, Mrs. LaCombe and Mrs. Gauthier are very much looking forward to the upcoming year with the new members. Mrs. LaCombe stated, “I am looking forward to getting to know all of the new NHS inductees. Since I teach mostly seniors, I only know a handful of juniors and underclassmen. I have heard outstanding things about NHS’s new inductees, and I am looking forward to working with all of them. I am also excited to build on the impressive accomplishments of this year’s NHS members. This year’s group was a true pleasure to work with. I will miss them next year!”

Being a member of NHS is a great honor and lot of work goes into the selection process for new members. To be eligible for NHS, seniors and second-semester juniors need to have a 3.75 GPA or higher. Once they have met this requirement, they receive an application, which they fill out if they would like to apply. A questionnaire is sent out to faculty and staff to gather information about the students who have been selected. The Faculty Council, which is a group of teachers, makes the final selection for new members after spending many days after school reviewing applications.

The advisors do not have a role in choosing the members but rather, as Mrs. LaCombe stated, “Our main job is the help members fulfill their roles on NHS once they are admitted. As advisers, we help initiate and oversee the selection process, but we do not make any selection decisions. Once students are admitted, we have a celebration and induction ceremony in May at the National Honor Society Banquet. As new NHS members, students then use their knowledge and skills to help others and to improve their community.”

Mrs. LaCombe stated, “The best part of NHS is the students. I love working with them and I enjoy helping them develop into even stronger scholars and leaders. Ms. Gauthier and I were both members of NHS in high school, and we both feel that our membership in NHS left a profound impact on us. The lessons we learned as NHS members fostered our passion for knowledge and service. We hope to inspire this same passion in the students we work with.”

The NHS induction was a beautiful ceremony with the current members helping to guide new members with what will be expected from them in the future as NHS members. The executive board spoke with passion and clear commitment showing the new members everything they will be able to accomplish working together.

Congratulations to not only the new members, but to all of those who make the SHS chapter of NHS possible.