The SAILS Program Offers Opportunity for Working Students

Ms. Whitman (right) assists one of the students, Jaden LaPointe (left), 
on the start of growing his plants for Enviromental Science during SAILS.

Ms. Whitman (right) assists one of the students, Jaden LaPointe (left), on the start of growing his plants for Enviromental Science during SAILS.

Story by Sienna Ponte, Staff Writer

For students who work a lot or are at risk of not graduating, the SAILS Program allows them to work during the day and attend classes in the afternoon during after school hours.  It is mandatory for students to be working throughout the day in order to qualify for the program.

“It can be either juniors or seniors, but there are different steps they have to follow for them to be eligible,” Ms. Whitman, one of the program’s teachers, described.

SAILS stands for Stonington Academic Integration Learning for Students. Typically, there are not many kids who take part in the program. According to Ms. Whitman, this year there are about five students in the program.

One student, Brandon Vicaire, joined SAILS because he was working frequently, which greatly impacted his grades and attendance.

“I was going to drop out, but I was offered SAILS, so I will still graduate and walk with the class,” he explained.

SAILS students work on all the credits that are required to graduate and walk with their class. Vicaire stated that this could either be done online or one-on-one with a teacher.