Charlotte Johnstone Awarded Highest Scholarship At UConn

Senior Charlotte Johnstone is all smiles ever since she was awarded the Nutmeg Scholarship.

Story by Madison Nelson, Associate Writer

Most students in college will be graduating with almost $30,000 in debt, however SHS senior Charlotte Johnstone has been awarded a full ride to the University of Connecticut. “I was really excited, as I know how expensive college can get,” Johnstone commented. Johnstone was nominated for the Nutmeg Scholarship by her guidance counselor, Mrs. Steinhoff. This scholarship honors the exceptional accomplishments of high school seniors who have shown notable progress towards higher standards. Selection is highly competitive.

Johnstone received a letter in the mail that informed her she was a finalist. She attended a banquet where she mingled with other finalists and was interviewed. Later that week she was informed that she had, in fact, won the scholarship. Although UConn does not offer her intended major, she still hopes to attend UConn since she believes she will not receive a scholarship of this stature from any other university.

Johnstone’s family also showed their excitement for her achieving such a prestigious award. “My mom was so hyped up that she express-ordered an Edible Arrangement [fruit bouquets] for me to come the next day, which was kind of funny,” Johnstone added. She will be hearing back from other colleges she applied to in March, but ultimately she looks forward to possibly attending UConn and graduating debt-free.