Club Supports Future Computer Scientists

Story by Isabelle Ryan, Staff Writer

Have you ever wanted to know how to really use technology? If you’re interested you can join the new Computer Club started by Ryan Fornara and Blake Edwards, along with support from Mrs. Gauthier.

The idea for a new club started when Mrs. Gauthier was contacted by a nonprofit organization that was trying to spread the use of technology and computer programs throughout schools. Fornara and Edwards decided to branch off this organization’s idea and create their own club to share their immense knowledge of computers.

Last year, Edwards and Mrs. Gauthier wrote a letter applying for an Apple grant for their club and they received $1,000 as a result. This $1,000 has been used to purchase Raspberry Pi’s and Raspberry Pi Hats which they described as “computers the size of credit cards, like the ones we have all seen, just without the screen component.” They have been teaching the students within the club something that is called “python programming.” Once the order of computers comes in they will be using python programming on the mini-computers. Ryan hopes to teach other students python programming and how to use the Raspberry Pi’s so that they can understand the networking between the two, as well as how they can communicate with one another. Fornara also hopes that the kids who join the club will “get a better understanding of the power of technology,” Edwards agreed and also thinks it’s amazing that he can talk about his ideas with other kids that are just as interested in computers as he is.

Both Fornara and Edwards plan to put their computer knowledge to use in the real world. Edwards hopes to go into computer science and use computer science to explore other STEM fields as well. Fornara plans to go into computer software and use his knowledge of various software for beneficial reasons. However, as seniors, they are leaving their newly-created club much faster than they would have liked. When asked what was going to happen to the club after they graduate in June, they both replied that is something they are worried about. Both agreed that they need a reliable junior or sophomore to take control of the club and continue to make something positive come from it.