Student Spotlight: Sophomore Amanda Bury

Sophomore Amanda Bury smiles for the camera as she heads to Band.

Story by Madison Nelson, Staff Writer

Amanda Bury is a sophomore with a unique talent. Bury has been playing the guitar since she was eleven years old. Her interest in playing the guitar began when she would listen to her dad, who is an avid guitar player. She eventually picked it up herself and loved it. She is also in the school jazz band, which is an audition-only class; it is very selective with who is accepted. She mostly enjoys playing rock or folk music, but will listen to any genre. Not only does Bury play the guitar, but she also plays the bass and piano. She credits her dad for her love and talent of music and said, “I’ve always been big into listening to all kinds of music, but my dad was the one who got me into playing it.”

Bury is from Stonington, but also spent a lot of time growing up in Puerto Rico, where her dad is from. Bury has two brothers; Nathaniel, a senior, and Mitchell, a sixth-grader. She has traveled to many different places, learning different cultures. Bury has traveled to London, Italy, Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Iceland, and Ecuador. She values going to these places because she uses them as learning experiences. “I learned a lot, but most importantly, I got to experience a new culture, and I find it amazing to be immersed in a way of life that’s different from my own,” said Bury. Being able to travel is not something that is lost on Bury, she considers herself lucky to have experienced the opportunity to travel to these places.

Sophomore year is going great for Bury. She is currently part of the eSports team and hopes to join the math club. She also has an interest in programming. Her goals for this year are to achieve straight A’s,  prepare for junior year and join a sports team.  Her favorite subject is math. She likes to play video games and hang out with friends during her free time. She enjoys art, and was inspired by her idol, a digital animator. “I look up to a digital animator named Monty Oum, because he has created amazing art and had an incredible work ethic that I find amazing,” admitted Bury. Bury also looks forward to the rest of her high school career and the experiences that are to come.