CollegeBoard is Making Students and Parents Furious Nationwide

Story by Ava Schrage, Staff Writer/ Editor

COVID-19 has drawn high school students across the nation out of their schools and into the many challenges that come with distance learning, and students who take Advanced Placement (AP) classes are no exception.

Since students aren’t able to take them in a standard classroom setting, AP exams have been adjusted so that they will now be administered online. Obviously, with teenage students taking major standardized tests without regulation in their own homes, many concerns have been brought up. However, to combat potential issues with academic honesty, all exams were turned into being open-note, which is permitted due to the open-ended nature of the questions. Additionally, each test for specific classes has been modified to cover a smaller amount of material to make up for the lack of review that students will be able to receive via online school. Although this seems very generous, not all students are pleased with the outcomes.

Over the past week, these exams have been taking place and have left many students across the board extremely upset after not being able to submit their work. As many students recall, when they tried to attach a file to the CollegeBoard testing website of their work, it refused to upload and would then bring them to a page after time had run out in the test that told them they were unable to accept their work, but they could submit a form requesting a retake.

According to CollegeBoard, out of 2.186 million students who tested between May 11th and May 15th, “only 1%” of test-takers experienced these technological difficulties. If this was actually an accurate number, this would still mean that 21,860 students across the nation weren’t able to submit their exams after spending countless hours studying and stressing over them, not to mention paying the $94 ($124 for students enrolled in the class outside of US territories and Canada) that it costs to take them, only to take them and not have it count.

With this in mind, it’s more than likely that this number is significantly higher than CollegeBoard’s projection, since this only accounts for the students whose parents have reported it to the organization, rather than everyone who actually submitted a request for a retake due to this reason. Now, for those who are actually accepted to retest, they have to wait a full three weeks before being able to retake the exam.

After CollegeBoard investigated the error in their submission system, they discovered that the inability to attach files and turn in exams resulted from a hole that didn’t accept uploads from outdated browsers. Now, students who are/have tested after May 18th have the option of directly emailing their exams to Collegeboard through an address they will send out. But, this still doesn’t make up for the tens of thousands of students who are nervously waiting to find out whether or not their requests will be accepted.

For students like myself who have found themselves in this situation, you’re not alone in your frustration.