My Thoughts on Coronacation

Story by Christopher Caraballo, Staff Writer

When I first gave Mrs. Cozz the story idea to write an “open letter” about my thoughts on the Corona virus break she responded with: “Who is it for? Anyone who will listen?” At that moment I thought to myself: yeah pretty much. So that’s who this letter is addressed to. Anyone who wishes to listen. Anyone who wishes to know what it’s like to be a senior during this pandemic.

Senior year isn’t supposed to be normal. I knew that coming into this year, but I didn’t expect this. What I did expect was fun. My last year EVER at SHS. I was looking forward to senior release. I was looking forward to not having to take exams when everyone else would be. I was looking forward to not having to come into school on SAT day. I was looking forward to senior skip day. I was looking forward to my senior prom, going with the best girl in the world and my best friends in the whole world. I was looking forward to graduation, being able to see my fellow classmates throw their caps in the air in unison while our friends and families watched from the crowd. I was looking forward to singing with my chamber family one last time at pops. But here we are.

I’m incredibly lucky that I was able to perform in my senior musical, however. I don’t know what I would’ve done if that was canceled. (Shoutout my SHS drama family btw, love y’all)

Three weeks into quarantine. Three. Weeks. Almost a whole month away from school. In any other circumstance, I’d be ok with this. If it was just a vacation I’d be fine. But this may be a lasting vacation. Away from my friends. 

It’s funny. I wrote a speech for my English class this year about how much my friends mean to me. I said in that speech I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to not see Evan and Dan every day in the future. I was referring to the far future in that speech. Little did I know that it wouldn’t be that far away. 

So how do I feel? It’s odd. It’s a strange feeling. Who would’ve thought that this would be a possibility? This is insane! The whole country is effectively shut down. I never thought I’d see anything like this. 

All in all, this stinks. I’m not jumping for joy that I may miss out on all of the normal senior events, but at the same time, this is just an obstacle. It’s another moment in our history that will shape us. We will all grow and learn from this. It sucks that we have to learn this lesson in such a harsh way, but it is what it is. 

My message to anyone still reading is this: stay safe. Be smart. Don’t leave your house if you don’t have to. We’re gonna get through this, and I hope to see you guys one last time at Stonington High School this year. 

Much love,

Chris