Travel Guide: The Somewhat Disastrous Trip

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Kaela Ferguson

More stories from Kaela Ferguson

All 24 of the family and friends in our group

All 24 of the family and friends in our group

photo by Kaela Ferguson

photo by Kaela Ferguson

All 24 of the family and friends in our group

Going on vacation is always a splendid time, unless you’re me! I am Kaela Ferguson and this is my guide on how to survive a somewhat disastrous trip.

Over spring break I traveled to Tampa, Florida to hop on the beautiful Norwegian Jade and set sail with 23 family and friends–all of us from either West Virginia, Minnesota, or Connecticut.

I usually am the only one to pack lightly, meaning only one bag for clothes and a small carry-on full of stuff I truly won’t even think about using. Except this time I had two suitcases and a small carry on.

Imagine this, about 4:30am in the Providence airport a herd of 9 people followed by 18 suitcases, come walking through the doors to check their bags and hop on a flight. When we had first got there it has seemed like the airport was completely empty, but as soon as we all walked in it was like a zoo.

Sunday, the day we were to get on the ship, I became a little under the weather, the common sore throat with a stuffy nose and a small cough–nothing major. This is when things started to go a bit downhill.

Starbucks, was right across the street from the hotel, so my step dad and I walked over to get my sister and I a drink. All went well until my cousin Erik made a simple comment to me that distracted me enough to trip and fall, scraping my arm.

Fast forward to actually getting on the boat, setting sail, and going to bed. It was Monday, our first full day on the boat. At this point, I’ve gotten no sleep due to my sickness that kept me up all hours of the night. I would like to blame the “SHS Plague,” or just the SHS student body for giving me the illness.

You could feel the ship rocking like crazy, my sister was hit hard with the feeling of sickness and so was I.

On the ship was a gift store, which had candy and the major three essentials that we had needed. Those were Dayquil, sea bands, and Motioneaze!

The sea bands were two wristbands that were tight with a small dot that put pressure on your pressure points on the insides of your wrist. Believe it or not, this helped!

The Motioneaze was also another life saver, you place a decent size drop of it behind each ear, and it’s suppose to calm you with the smell and, of course, work it’s wonders and help you stay less sea sick.

Tuesday, our first stop in warm Cozumel, Mexico and having been there when I was 8 or 9, everything was similar and the memories flooded my head.

All 24 of us boarded a catamaran boat for a snorkeling trip. Now, I dislike the ocean and deep waters, but I didn’t want to seem like a chicken.

You could see the fish swimming around, but it sucked. You had about 45 people swimming besides you following the guy with the big white boey. Let me tell you, I was kicked at least 20 times.

After being allowed onto the boat, we continued our trip to an area with big water activities like slides, courses, and many other things. It downed poured on us with some hail as well, so jumping into the water was no problem.

The night came to an end and we went to a restaurant called Alizar, but because of the SHS plague, I called it a night and went to my cabin to take a nap. The nap never happened. My cousin Kasey, sister Hannah, and I decided to stay up instead.

Our cabin maid was in the room next to us, which was my mom’s room, making lots of noise. I figured my mother had come down to her room for a minute. I opened the door and yelled for mom repeatedly until  all of a sudden, a tiny old lady came out of nowhere and disappeared again.    

Scaring me, I quickly yelled “THAT”S MARIA NOT MOM,” and threw myself onto my bed. We ended up not going to the party, instead we went to the buffet ate more food and crashed in bed.

Costa Maya, Mexico was our second destination. Mom, Hannah, Grandma, myself, and step dad Mark decided to leave port. Wanting to venture out, we went to a little beach and had authentic tacos and churros. The way that they drive in Mexico is very scary.

That very next day we were docked in the very beautiful Roatan Bay Island, Honduras. It was a bit cloudy at first, but as the time went on the sun came out and it warmed up. Mom, Hannah, Mark, and I went on a boat with two Honduras residents. They both took us around the island and gave us the background of certain places.

Stopping to hop into the water, we snorkeled around. The water was so blue and so clear that you could see straight to the bottom of the ocean, all of the tropical fish swimming around us, and the coral.

At the end of the snorkeling trip, we went back to a small restaurant where they had lunch ready for us: Red snapper, beans, rice, and a plantain. The best meal we had so far the entire trip.

Our ride came back to bring us to the ship, he told us all about the life of living in Honduras. The difference between the U.S and countries that are much poorer is very significant. Driving down the roads you would see a ton of wild dogs, they just keep breeding.

The driver even explained that about 90% of the income of money that they get is in fact from the cruises and tourism, while the rest is all from commercial fishing.

Honduras was very eye opening and definitely my favorite stop. I would highly recommend traveling there.

Later on that night, we all went to a game call “Majority Rules,” before the best night of the cruise began. After the game, they held a dance competition, which was just like dancing with the stars but had its twist.

My mother was paired with a cruise worker from Spain; luckily, the two of them had personalities that fit. They improved through all of the rounds and won the show. The entire family roared with laughter and cheers the entire show.

Finally feeling less sick, we danced the rest of the night away before our last stop.

Harvest Caye, Belize an Island just for people cruising on the Norwegian cruise lines was definitely not my favorite, only because it was just shops. You couldn’t see the real Island or what life was like their.

I got to see those birds, you know the ones on the Fruitloops box. Yeah! Tucans. We spent the day on electric boats and in the pool. Grandma sent Kasey and I to find shirts for all 6 of her wonderful grandkids.

After our short visit to Belize, we loaded onto the boat hung out and later that night we did family pictures. Kassidy, one of my younger cousins and I went late at night to a small places and shared lots of wings, spinach dip, and nachos. We two sure can eat a lot!!

The next morning I woke up, feeling a little sick again. I wasn’t too happy about that. Especially when the entire day you’re at sea. Hannah and I went and got breakfast alone together and spent the day sleeping on the deck, until we hit a storm.

The water was so rough, worse than the first day at sea. My cousin Taylor was affected by this greatly and spent the entire day and night in her room sick. A few of us felt the nausea but nothing like Taylor.

The entire family except for Taylor and her mom Karla all joined each other for one last hurrah at dinner. I became sicker as the night went on, coughing even worse than before. Getting little sleep that night, we woke up back in Tampa, FL.

Everyone loaded off the boat and went straight to the airport where we said our goodbyes to our family from Minnesota. Then when the rest of us got through security, we sat at our gates. It was time for all of us CT residence to come home, so we said our goodbyes to our family from West Virginia, boarded the plane, and landed safely.

The only good thing about being home was that it was the same temperature as it was in FL when we left. The worst part was suffering from bronchitis and an ear infection for the next 3-4 weeks after vacation.

photo by Kaela Ferguson
All 24 of the family and friends in our group

photo by Kaela Ferguson
Left to right: Mom (Stacy), Hannah (sister), and myself (Kaela)

Here’s a few tips: enjoy every second of your trip, Nyquil is a life saver, take lots of naps, and drink lots of water. You’ll survive, maybe, I barely did. In the end, it was so worth being sick in the Caribbean.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

The Brown and White intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Brown and White does not allow anonymous comments, and The Brown and White requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.


Navigate Right
Navigate Left
Travel Guide: The Somewhat Disastrous Trip